Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Okay, I admit it. I'm in a food slump. We've been sick and sleep deprived and I'm just making food and serving it while trying to stay ahead of the laundry and the pee on the toilet rim. I know it's such a glamorous job this mommy thing isn't it?

I think to myself, "I could post the recipe for beef dip that I invented last week", and then I think, "That that seems kind of lame", but really you're here for recipes and cooking ideas aren't you? So here you go.

Crock Pot Beef Dip

In the morning take a raw london broil brown it a little in a skillet and place it in the crock pot. Season with thyme, onion flakes, garlic, pepper, oregano, and a little bit of salt. Add about 3 tbsps soy sauce, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp red wine, and a splash of hot sauce. Cook on the low setting for 6 or more hours, until the meat pulls apart with a fork.

At dinner time take enough whole grain rolls for your family, slice in half and place on a flat cookie sheet. Add two slices of Monterey Jack cheese to one side of each bun. Toast under the broiler in your oven, or toaster oven, until cheese is melted. Pull apart the beef with a fork and place inside each bun to form a sandwich. From the crock pot take the juices, they taste delish, and give everyone at the table their own bowl of the "au jus". Let them dip their sandwiches in the juice before every bite. Serve them vegetables too.

Some things to add for grown-up palates are horseradish, whole seed mustard, and chopped pepperoncinis.

If anyone is still reading after my almost two week hiatus, what do you want to know? Ask and I will answer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there,
just wanted to say that I enjoy your writing on both your blogs. I'm not really one to leave comments, but that doesn't mean that I'm not reading and appreciating what you're saying. =)
If you have any more tips on satiating a sweet tooth without too much sugar (and I'm really not into artificial sweeteners, hence the fact I'm asking you!) that would be much appreciated.
I find that it's texture as much as taste that I miss when I'm trying not to consume too many treats, or am substituting apples for cakes! (i.e. creamy/smooth, cakey/fluffy, creamy/smooth&cakey/fluffy! *lol*).
I've got the chocolate needs under control, it's more the dessert-without-sweetener needs I'm having trouble with. Any help would be greatfully received. =)

All the best
Becca, Glasgow, UK

urban mama said...

I am always looking fo good snack ideas for my kids and me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails