Monday, July 06, 2009

Coconut & Lime Rice Pudding

Usually when I think of rice pudding, I think of a comforting, wintertime food. Not so with this scrumptious take on an old favorite! The lime gives it just the right touch for a summertime treat.

Coconut milk is full of the healthy kind of fats, namely lauric acid, which is needed for brain development and strong bones, making this a particularly good recipe for children and pregnant or nursing mothers.

I used coconut milk for the entire milk amount. I love the subtle flavor, but if you want less of a coconut taste, just use regular milk for half. I have found that I prefer the refrigerated coconut milk that comes in a carton over the canned coconut milk, but either will work beautifully. I used the So Delicious brand.


Coconut & Lime Rice Pudding

  • 1/3 cup white rice
  • 3 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/3 cup raw sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons lime zest

Soak rice in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain.
In a saucepan, bring milk, rice, sugar and salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes, or till thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and stir in lime zest.

Serve warm or chilled.

2 comments:

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

I'm gonna have to try this!

That tweet had me running over here..I'm also fighting sweet tooths always! I know I know I need to cleanse/fast..it's just sooo hard when there's no motivation!

So a recipe like these are always helpful!

Carrien Blue said...

This looks so good. I think we'll be trying it this week.

Related Posts with Thumbnails