Saturday, February 03, 2007

This is for Dave

I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for a while and then I read this post by Mama Tulip. After I got finished laughing I remembered this salad, which my husband invented, and most of hid guy friends who don’t touch salad in general will eat a lot of this. Maybe it’s because there’s no lettuce.

You will need, in approximately equal amounts

Broccoli Florets
Cauliflower
Carrots
Celery
Bell peppers
Cut them all salad size and place in a bowl.

Add one 14 oz can of chickpeas, drained, and if you want to splurge just a little, some low fat feta cheese finishes it quite nicely.

The dressing is what is fun. Chop very small a half cup of garlic stuffed olives, 1/2 cup pepperoncinis, add one half cup balsamic vinegar, on half cup olive oil, add salt and fresh ground pepper. Let dressing sit to allow all flavors to blend. Just before serving pour on salad and mix.

It's a great low index, high fiber dinner with protein.

You can also add grilled chicken breast cubed, to make it more meal like.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

mamatulip said...

Carrien, thanks for thinking of Dave (and of me). Of your list, he won't touch the broccoli, chick peas or the cauliflower, but if I added grilled chicken to it, he'd eat it.

Me, on the other hand? I'd eat it just like you posted it. It sounds DEE-LISH! I'm going to print this out and make it.

Thanks!!

(Hey, if you're interested, I have a great couscous salad recipe that I could share with you...)

Melodee said...

I love love love this salad. I've made it three or four times and then eat it all week long. (My family is not big on vegetables, but I took it to a potluck and it was gobbled up.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails